What is Aquatrol?
Aquatrol is a water-based saturating finish that is designed to revitalise weather-beaten, dried-out exterior wood. It helps to restore the warm richness of the woods natural beauty.
It penetrates deep into the wood, protecting it against damage caused by UV rays and moisture whilst also creating a mildew resistant finish that will not crack, peel or flake.
On initial application, the wood will darken to a rich matt colour and then gradually lighten depending on the intensity of sun exposure.
Due to it’s gel like consistency, it can easily be applied on horizontal or vertical surfaces, so it’s great for using on many wooden surfaces such as decks, fences, outdoor furniture and cladding.
Surfaces must be thoroughly clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime, mildew and previous coatings.
- Treat mildew with a 50/50 bleach/water solution. Scrub solution on to surface and allow to stand for 10-15 minutes; rinse thoroughly.
- After cleaning, allow wood to dry 2-3 good drying days or until it has reached a moisture content of 18% or less before applying finish.
- Aquatrol may only be applied to bare wood surfaces or a weathered wood surface that was previously finished with Aquatrol. ALL other finishes must be completely and thoroughly removed.
- If necessary sand surface after cleaning and/or stripping (80 grit paper).
Restrictions and important things to remember
- Do not allow to dry between coats – apply ‘wet on wet’.
- Only apply to weathered wood. All new wood should be treated with Seasonite and allowed to weather 6-12 months before applying Aquatrol.
- Do not use on hardboard, plywood, including T1-11 or over previously stained, varnished or painted wood.
- Not for use on hardwoods such as Oak, Ipe, Iroko, Teak etc
- Do not used in enclosed areas such as porches, verandas etc
Find out more about Aquatrol by heading over to the product page, here.