Our Decking Paint is a premium finish suitable for use on new wood, weathered wood and even previously treated wood. It is fortified with Owatrol’s Emulsa-Bond helping it to provide unsurpassed adhesion on both horizontal and vertical surfaces where competitors would require extensive preparation and priming whilst providing a rich matt finish perfect for decking.
The Decking Paint range has now been expanded and it is available in 35 stylish colours and is incredibly easy to use with just 2 coats needed in most cases. It provides long-lasting performance, even in high traffic areas like your garden decking and when applied correctly to bare wood is guaranteed against peeling or flaking for 5 years on horizontal surfaces such as decking and 15 years on vertical cladding and sidings (please see below for limited warranty specific details).
Ideal Uses for Owatrol’s Decking Paint
- Giving your decking a new look – in any of the 35 stylish colours
- Protecting decks previously treated with inferior products which have peeled or flaked
- Long-lasting protection for outdoor wood furniture
- Also suitable for fencing, cladding and other exterior wood surfaces
Owatrol International warrants Decking Paint against peeling on wood decks for 5 years and against cracking, peeling and flaking on wood cladding for 15 years from the date of purchase if it is applied on bare wood to a properly prepared surface according to label directions – this means that all previous coatings MUST be properly removed before applying Decking Paint or the adhesion could be compromised. Owatrol International will, at its option, replace the material or refund the purchase price if Decking Paint does not perform as described above. Please see the technical data for the full warranty.
Image credit to Amazing Productions and Channel 4
New wood surfaces
Before using Decking Paint, all surfaces must be clean, dry and free of dirt, grease and mildew. However, in addition new wood also has a hard shiny surface known as mill glaze which prevents maximum penetration – preventing any coating from adhering properly. We would always recommend new wood is treated with Seasonite new wood protection and then allowed to weather for a minimum of 6 months after which time Decking Paint can be applied following the instructions for weathered wood.
Weathered wood surfaces
Uncoated wood surfaces which have weathered for 6 months of more simply need a thorough cleaning to restore their original colour and remove any built-up dirt and grime before applying decking paint. To do this simply use Net-Trol wood cleaner which is scrubbed on, allowed to work and then rinsed off. Be sure to allow your wood to dry thoroughly for 48 hours afterwards before applying Decking Paint.
Previously coated surfaces
In this case, first sand or scrape to remove any loose, flaking or peeling finish (if there is any). If necessary, you should strip the surface with Dilunett Gel before cleaning and neutralising it with Net-Trol wood cleaner. Then allow 48 hours for the surface to dry before applying Decking Paint.
Application of Owatrol’s Decking Paint
Owatrol’s Decking Paint is easy to apply by following these simple instructions.
First apply a coat of Decking Paint avoiding heavy application. Be sure to work it into the grooves of the deck to ensure even protection. Next allow this coat to dry for 3-4 hours before applying a second coat. If applying by spray, always back-brush or back-roll immediately after application to ensure unformity of colour, coverage and penetration.
Surfaces with harsh exposure to weather or traffic will wear more quickly than other areas. In these cases, clean affected areas with Net-Trol and recoat as necessary.
Clean all tools and equipment with soap and water whilst still wet. If allowed to dry, remove with paint stripper.
NOTE: Rags soaked in this product should be soaked with water before disposing of with household waste.
Things to Remember
- Before starting your project, test penetration and absorbency by sprinkling water lightly onto the wood. If the water is absorbed rapidly, surface is free of contamination and ready for staining. If water is repelled, thorough preparation, as for new wood must be performed.
- Before starting application, test the colour choice on a small area and allow to dry to determine final colour.
- Purchase sufficient product for the whole job and mix all product together before starting to avoid colour variances.
- If applying with a sprayer it must be (.017-.021 tip at 1800-2000 psi (124-138 bars)
- Cover everything you do not wish to coat, including plants and shrubs.
- Apply between 10°C and 35°C.
- Do not apply in direct sunlight, on hot surfaces.
- Do not apply if cold and/or wet weather is expected within 48 hours.
- Mix product thoroughly before and during application. Do not thin.
- Always work the entire length of a deck board or horizontal siding to a logical break, such as a window or door frame.
- Vertical siding should be coated from top to bottom.