Teak Protect is a highly penetrating wood finish that provides a flexible, long-lasting, matt finish for all types of wood.
Teak Protect saturates and stabilises the wood to minimise cracking, warping and other damage caused by moisture, pollution and UV rays.
Why use Teak Protect?
Teak Protect is a strong non-film forming finish that can be applied to both new and weathered wood. Its matt finish allows the natural beauty of the wood to shine through while offering premium UV protection.
The required maintenance is minimal with likely maintenance coats only required once in every couple of years or longer making it a sound investment for the future.
Ideal Uses for Owatrol’s Teak Protect
- Hardwoods: Exotic and broadleaved – Teak, Ipe, Bangkirai, Oak, Iroko/Azobe (see restrictions)
- Softwoods: Pine, Larch, Spruce, Cedar etc
- Horizontal and vertical surfaces
- Decks, furniture, pontoons, walkways, handrails and more
The natural oils in woods such as Iroko and Azobe can impede the penetration and drying of finishes.
These species of wood should be thoroughly prepared or allowed to weather for 12 months.
Contact us for preparation advice.
Surfaces must be thoroughly clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime, mildew and previous coatings.
Treat mildew with a 50/50 bleach/water solution. Scrub solution on to surface and allow to stand for 10-15 minutes; rinse thoroughly.
After cleaning and/or stripping, allow wood to dry 2-3 good drying days or until it has reached a moisture content of 18% or less before applying finish.
Teak Protect can only be applied to bare wood surfaces or a weathered wood surface that was previously finished with Teak Protect. all other finishes MUST be completely and thoroughly removed.
If necessary sand surface after cleaning and/or stripping (max 80 grit paper).
New wood surfaces:
New wood surfaces have a hard shiny surface called mill glaze that prevents maximum penetration and bonding of any finish; this should be removed prior to application in order to ensure maximum performance of the finish.
Treat with Deep Cleaner*, neutralise with Deck Cleaner*, alternatively mechanically or manually abrade surface (max 80 grit paper).
Clean off all loose wood particles.
Test wood for absorbency by sprinkling water on the surface.
If water is absorbed rapidly, the surface is ready for finishing, if not repeat process.
Untreated weathered woods:
Untreated wood surfaces that have weathered longer than 6 months should be thoroughly cleaned with undiluted Deck Cleaner* to ensure that all loose wood fibres, dirt and other surface contaminants are removed.
For severely contaminated surfaces clean with Deep Cleaner, neutralise with Deck Cleaner.
Previously coated surfaces:
All previous coatings must be completely and thoroughly removed.
Oils and sealers: Strip with Deep Cleaner*, neutralise with Deck Cleaner*.
Oil/Alkyd based finishes: Strip with Marine Strip, neutralise with Deck Cleaner*.
Acrylic finishes: Contact us.
Other finishes e.g. 2 pack Epoxies, Urethanes etc: Strip with DSP 800*.
Note: Hardwoods and woods rich in tannins e.g. Oak, Cedar, Teak, Ipe…. may darken with Deep Cleaner* AND Marine Strip*, neutralising with Deck Cleaner* immediately after rinsing will lighten and restore the woods colour.
Application of Owatrol’s Teak Protect
- Use as is. Do not thin.
- Apply 2 even applications of Teak Protect “wet on wet”.
- Apply a 1st liberal application of Teak Protect and allow to penetrate into the wood
- Apply 2nd application as soon as the wet look of the 1st application has disappeared (normally 15-20 minutes) and allow to penetrate into the wood.
- For very porous surfaces a 3rd application may be needed.
- Brush out any puddles within 20 minutes of applying the last application to avoid Teak Protect drying as shiny spots on the surface.
- Do not allow Teak Protect to become Touch Dry or Dry between applications.
- Teak Protect’s place is in the wood not on the surface. Do not create a film on the surface, as this will affect the coatings performance.
Maintenance is due when the treated wood takes on a weathered grey look or has severely faded. Surfaces with harsh exposure to the sun, weather and foot traffic will show wear more quickly than other areas.
Clean surface with undiluted Deck Cleaner.
Apply a single, liberal application of Teak Protect blending in to areas which still have good colour.
For very porous or badly weathered surfaces a 2nd application may be required; this should be applied as directed under “Application” instructions above. Areas retaining good colour do not need re-treating.
Soap & Water
Things to Remember
- Mix thoroughly before and periodically during application.
- Cover everything you do not wish to coat.
- Apply between 10°C (50°F) and 30°C (86°F).
- Do not apply if cold and/or wet weather is expected within 24 hours.
- Never stop application in the middle of a board or piece of wood, always work the entire length to a natural break.
- Vertical surfaces should be coated from top to bottom.
- Always work in the direction of the grain.
- Never apply in direct sunlight or to hot surfaces.
- Do not allow to dry between applications – apply Teak Protect wet on wet.
- After spray application, always back-brush or back-roll to improve penetration, uniformity of coverage and finish.