If you have carpet you may have noticed it could do with a little bit of a refresh. Whilst hardwood floors are quick and easy to clean and maintain, carpets can be a little bit more high maintenance.
Today we are going to explain how you can keep your carpet looking cleaner and fresher for longer.
Step 1 – Clear the area
We recommend you work in one room at a time. To get the best result possible we suggest you begin by moving/removing any furniture you can from the room. For instance, move your coffee table out of the room, pull the sofa forward, place chairs upside down on top of your dining table etc.
Once the area is clear you are now ready to proceed.
Step 2 – Deep vacuum
When your work area is clear, you should next do a deep vacuum. We recommend starting at one end of the room taking it slow to allow the most amount of dirt to be collected. You may wish to go over the floor twice to make sure you have collected as much as possible, but this is optional.
Step 3 – Deal with stains
Once your floor is clean of dirt and dander, you can then deal with any stains you may have. Depending on the type of stain will depend on how best to deal with it. For example, you will need to use different products for dealing with a pet stain, compared to an ink stain. It is best to use specific products for a specific stain.
You can find these products easily online, in some DIY stores, in supermarkets or pet shops.
Step 4 – Wash your carpet
The best way to keep your carpet looking fresh is to wash it every 6 – 12 months. This is now a very quick, easy and fairly affordable thing to do. One of the most common ways people do it is to hire a carpet cleaning machine.
Simply fill the machine with water and a carpet detergent and follow the instructions on how to use.
The machine you use, the interior temperature and the moisture levels within the room will all affect the drying time of the carpet. Depending on conditions, this can take anywhere between 2 and 24 hours to completely dry.
Step 5 – Maintain your carpet with regular care
Once your carpet is clean and dry, the next thing to do is help maintain your carpet with regular care. We recommend that you do things such as:
- Vacuum twice a week – although once a week may be fine, if you have any pets or children in the home we recommend a bi-weekly vacuum to keep the carpets looking their best!
- Deal with stains immediately – have stain remover on hand ready to be used at any time.
- Use doormats – have both an inside and outside doormat to help keep as much dirt and dander away from the rest of the carpets as possible.
- Replace filters and bags regularly – keeping your vacuum cleaner in top condition means it will do a better job at cleaning up.
- Use carpet deodorisers regularly – using deodorisers or baking soda to absorb nasty smells before vacuuming will help keep your carpets smelling fresh.
We hope you have found this post helpful. If you have any other further tips or advice, please feel free to leave them in the comments section below. We love hearing from you!