Seasonite is Owatrol’s ground breaking product for protecting new wood during its most vulnerable first year. When new wood is first exposed to the elements it is particularly vulnerable from the effects of excessive moisture and UV rays. If left unprotected it can very quickly begin to warp and crack causing unsightly and damaging results. Seasonite stabilises the wood and controls the transfer of moisture to prevent warping. It bonds with the fibres of the wood to provide protection against damage caused by UV rays and pollution as well as excess moisture to keep the wood looking new for longer.
Seasonite is easy to apply to vertical or horizontal surfaces and requires just a single generous coat. It can be applied with a brush and is ideal for softwoods, especially pressure-treated wood. It allows the wood to weather naturally for its first year and prepares it for re-coating after 6-12 months of weathering. Seasonite dramatically reduces the risk of damage to your new wood structures during the first winter and allows the pores of the wood to open naturally. It minimises the greying and weathering process and after 6-12 months of weathering, Seasonite provides a sound surface for paint, wood stain or other finishes to be applied to.
Please note that Seasonite is only suitable for unfinished new wood. For weathered wood please use Net-Trol wood cleaner followed by a penetrating product such as Textrol wood oil.
Ideal Uses for Seasonite new wood protection
- Protecting your new deck
- Keeping your new summer house looking new for longer
- Preventing warping in your new fence panels
- Protecting new unfinished garden furniture
- Preparing new wood for re-coating after weathering
First all surfaces must be clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime mildew and other surface contaminants. If mildew is present, treat it with a solution of 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. Scrub the solution on to the surface, allow it to stand for 10-15 minutes and then rinse thoroughly. If necessary sand the surface after cleaning (80 grit paper).
Application of Seasonite new wood protection
Wood should be clean and dry or damp but not wet. Then simply apply one liberal, saturating coat to all wood surfaces. Ensure you soak it into the end grain. When treating a deck, work Seasonite into all the cracks between the boards. If dipping shakes or shingles, soak them for 10 minutes then allow the excess to drain. Decks can usually be walked on 1 hour after application.
NOTE: Consult us for additional information and advice prior to using Seasonite on hardwoods. Do not use Seasonite on Oak.
Clean all tools and equipment with soap and water.
After a year of weathering, wood treated with Seasonite is easily maintained and protected using a clear penetrating oil finish, such as Textrol, or for colour use Solid Colour Stain. Remember to use Net-Trol to clean & restore the wood to its original colour first.
Things to Remember
- Cover everything you do not wish to coat, including plants and shrubs.
- Apply between 10°C and 30°C. Do not apply in direct sunlight or to hot surfaces.
- Do not apply if cold and/or wet weather is expected within 24 hours.
- Shake or stir can well before use. Do not thin.
- Always work the entire length of a deck board or horizontal cladding to a logical break, such as a window or door frame and never stop application in the middle of the wall.
- Vertical cladding should be coated from top to bottom.
- After spray application, always back-brush or back-roll to improve penetration and uniformity of coverage.
- Consult us for additional information and advice prior to using Seasonite on hardwoods.
- Do not use Seasonite on Oak.