Owatrol Solid Colour Stain (SCS) is an opaque protection and finish designed for use on masonry as well as both new and weathered exterior wood surfaces. It contains Owatrol’s Emulsa-Bond, giving it excellent adherence without the need for lengthy preparation and priming. This is unrivalled by other available products.
For use as a masonry paint, we recommend using SCS over other products on the market due to the stabilising solution it has. Many other masonry paint products require you to stabilise the surface before the paint can be applied, which can require extensive preparation and priming. However, due to SCS having Emulsa-Bond (a mix in bonding primer) built into it, this step is negated – meaning you can just get on with the job at hand.
Why should I use SCS?
The primary reason for using SCS is simply that there’s nothing else as good on the market. SCS is guaranteed for 15 years on vertical surfaces and 5 years on horizontal surfaces. The most notable quality of SCS is that it will not flake or peel! Not only can SCS be used on new, old and previously coated external wood surfaces but it protects as well as finishes. It provides lasting protection against moisture and has excellent adhesion and flexibility of the film.
SCS is perfect for delivering long-lasting beauty on sidings and cladding, hard-wearing consistency on fencing and high-traffic performance on decks, docks and other horizontal surfaces. You can use SCS on softwood, hardwood, tropical wood and thermo-heated wood surfaces. You can even use SCS on weathered vertical masonry including stucco, painted block and EIFS. It’s excellent for use on outdoor furniture and the wide range of available shades means you can create a unique style for your garden.
Owatrol Solid Colour Stain (SCS) is available in 1, 2.5, 10 & 20 litre containers and in 35 different shades. You can also purchase a sample pot to help you to decide on colours.
Ideal Uses for Solid Colour Stain
- Excellent variety of colours for exterior masonry
- Perfect for decks, docks and other horizontal surfaces
- Stunning on outdoor furniture in any of the 35 shades
- Long-lasting protection for fencing and other vertical surfaces
- Rich matt finish on concrete out buildings and garages
- Beautiful for log cabins and summer houses
- Performs well on masonry, new and old wood
Exterior masonry surfaces
Before using SCS, all masonry surfaces must be clean, dust free and free of any loose material. We recommend using a stripper such as DSP 800, which is perfect for the removal of all coating types. You must ensure that all previous coatings are removed before using SCS, otherwise it will not penetrate properly and you will not gain your desired finish.
New wood surfaces
Before using SCS, all surfaces must be clean, dry and free of dirt, grease and mildew. However, if your wood is new it will also have a hard shiny surface known as mill glaze which prevents maximum penetration – preventing any coating from adhering properly. We would always recommend new wood is treated with Seasonite new wood protection and then allowed to weather for a minimum of 6 months after which time Solid Colour Stain can be applied following the instructions for weathered wood.
Weathered wood surfaces
Untreated wood surfaces which have weathered for 6 months or more need a thorough cleaning to restore their original colour and remove any built-up dirt before applying SCS. To do this simply use Net-Trol wood cleaner which is scrubbed on,left to work and then rinsed off. Be sure to allow your wood to dry thoroughly for 48 hours afterwards before applying Solid Colour Stain.
Previously coated surfaces
In this case, first sand or scrape to remove any loose, flaking or peeling finish (if there is any). If necessary, you should strip the surface with Dilunett Gel and then neutralise it with Net-Trol wood cleaner. Then allow 48 hours for the surface to dry before applying SCS.
Applying Owatrol’s Solid Colour Stain
Owatrol’s Solid Colour Stain is incredibly easy to apply by following these simple instructions. First apply a coat of SCS avoiding heavy application. Next allow this coat to dry for 3-4 hours before applying a second coat. If applying by spray, always back-brush or back-roll immediately after application to ensure uniformity of colour, coverage and penetration.
Surfaces with harsh exposure to weather or traffic will wear more quickly than other areas. In these cases, clean or brush affected areas (with Net-Trol for wood) and recoat as necessary.
Clean all tools and equipment with soap and water whilst still wet. If allowed to dry, remove with paint stripper. NOTE: Rags soaked in this product should be soaked with water before disposing of with household waste.
Things to Remember
- Before starting your project on wood surfaces, test penetration and absorbency by sprinkling water lightly onto the wood. If the water is absorbed rapidly, surface is free of contamination and ready for staining. If water is repelled, thorough preparation, as for new wood must be performed.
- Before starting application, test the colour choice on a small area and allow to dry to determine final colour.
- Purchase sufficient product for the whole job and mix all product together before starting to avoid colour variances.
- Cover everything you do not wish to coat, including plants and shrubs.
- Apply between 10°C and 35°C.
- Do not apply in direct sunlight, on hot surfaces.
- Do not apply if cold and/or wet weather is expected within 48 hours.
- Mix product thoroughly before and during application. Do not thin.
- For wood, always work the entire length of a deck board or horizontal siding to a logical break, such as a window or door frame.
- Vertical siding should be coated from top to bottom.
- If using an airless sprayer it should be (.017-.021 tip at 1800-2000 psi (124-138 bars))