We think you’ll agree that they look absolutely fantastic!
The team first applied Deks Olje D1, which is perfect for dense wood species. It penetrates the wood and protects it from within, replacing the natural oils lost from the wood without blackening it.
How to apply Deks Olje D1 to your wood
Interior – Sand wood with 100 grit paper to open the pores, dust off and degrease the surface with methylated spirits.
New wood surfaces have a hard shiny surface called mill glaze that prevents maximum penetration and bonding of any ﬁnish; sanding or treating the wood with Aquanett removes this, ensuring maximum performance of the ﬁnish.
Weathered wood surfaces (untreated)
Previously oiled surfaces
All other oils or sealers must be completely and thoroughly removed with Aquanett and stripped surfaces neutralised with Net-Trol, before applying Deks Olje D1.
Previously coated surfaces (Paint, Stain, Varnish, Waterproofers)
All previous coatings must be completely and thoroughly removed with Dilunett and stripped surfaces neutralised with Net-Trol before applying Deks Olje D1.
Note: Hardwoods including exotic hardwoods and woods rich in tannins (i.e. Cedar, Douglas Fir, Teak, Ipe) may darken with Aquanett and Dilunett. Neutralising with Net-Trol immediately after rinsing will lighten and restore the woods colour.
- DO NOT allow Deks Olje D1 to become dry or touch dry between applications.
- Leave the ﬁnal application for 30 minutes, then wipe over the surface to remove excess and puddled material with a rag soaked in Deks Olje D1 and rung out so that it is damp to the touch.
- If necessary occasionally ring out the cloth to keep it damp. It is important that as much D1 as possible is applied on the ﬁrst day.
- Deks Olje D1 must be kept ‘active’, this is done by the ‘wet on wet’ applications and the continual brushing over of the area, which assists and helps achieve maximum penetration.
- D1 has high penetration; its place is in the wood and not as a surface coating.
- Allow 3 days for D1 to set-up and dry, before use or in marine uses before putting the boat in service or continuing with Deks Olje D2.
The secret of Deks Olje’s success lies in its saturation of the wood to bring about an even ‘matt sheen’ ﬁnish when dry. Start by applying Deks Olje D1 to an area that can be treated in about 15 minutes. As soon as the 1st application has penetrated (normally 15-30 minutes), apply a 2nd application. Then continue applying D1 ‘wet on wet’ until a uniform, overall saturation of the wood is achieved. The number of applications needed depends on the wood.
How to apply Deks Olje D2 to your wood
They then applied Deks Olje D2, which flexes and moves with the wood so will not peel, flake or blister over time. This highly transparent high gloss oil enhances the natural beauty of the wood, offers long term protection and is very easy to apply, with no sanding required between coats.
All new wood must first be treated with Deks Olje D1.
Weathered wood previously treated with Deks Olje D1
Surfaces must first be clean, dry and free of all surface contamination. Clean and restore any Deks Olje D1 that has lightened to a grey finish, with Net-Trol, before applying Deks Olje D2.
- Do not thin Deks Olje D2.
- Apply 6 coats, allowing a minimum of 12 hours between coats. All coats should be applied within 1 month.
- Sanding between coats is not required but for an extra high gloss finish, sand between the last 2 coats with 600 grit paper.
- If using in the marine environment, allow 3 days for Deks Olje D2 to set-up and dry before putting the boat in service.
Deks Olje D1 & D2 can also be applied to boats and are a perfect partnership for the marine environment – take a look at a previous blog post here, where a customer beautifully revives his salmon fishing river boat.
For more information on the products used, please use the following links:
This project was completed by Colorificio F.lli Limonta and Valerio Baldo of Italy.