We are super excited that we can finally announce the launch of our brand new Decking Paint. This fantastic new paint is suitable for new or weathered wood and for recoating old applications. It is fortified with Owatrol’s Emulsa-Bond giving it unrivalled adhesion to both horizontal and vertical surfaces where other products would fail or at least need extensive preparation and priming. We’re so confident of this that we can guarantee it against peeling or flaking for 5 years on horizontal decking and 15 years on vertical fencing, cladding etc. if applied correctly (please see our product page for limited warranty details).
Our decking paint provides excellent protection against the damage caused by moisture and UV rays and the strong but flexible film means no peeling or flaking as your wood moves. It delivers high traffic performance on decking , even with heavy use. Owatrol’s Decking Paint is available in 10 different colours and if you’re not sure which one to go for you can buy a sample pot for just £5 with free delivery!
What can I use Owatrol’s Decking Paint on?
Obviously the primary use for our new decking paint is for DECKING! However, you can also use it for many other purposes such as:
- Cladding – including untreated solid wood, primed and previously finished fibre cement board and plywood
- Decks, docks and other horizontal surfaces – including PTW, cedar, redwoods and hardwoods
- Fences and other vertical surfaces
- Trim boards
- Outdoor wood furniture
- Weathered vertical masonry including stucco, painted block, EIFS, etc.
How do I use Owatrol Decking Paint?
Using Decking Paint on new wood surfaces
- Surfaces must be clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime and mildew.
- After cleaning, allow wood to dry for 48 hours before finishing.
- New wood often has a hard shiny surface known as mill glaze that prevents maximum penetration; this and the moisture content of new wood prevents the proper adhesion of any coating. As such, we would advise against using Decking Paint immediately.
- Initially, apply a coat of Seasonite, and allow the wood to weather for a minimum 6 months.
- After 6 months apply Owatrol’s Decking Paint as follows.
- Apply a coat of Decking Paint avoiding heavy application.
- Allow it to dry for 3-4 hours.
- Apply a second coat.
- When applying by spray, always back-brush or back-roll immediately after application to ensure uniformity of colour, coverage and penetration.
Using Decking Paint on weathered wood surfaces
Uncoated wood surfaces which have weathered longer than six months will simply require thorough cleaning before
applying the Decking Paint. Use Net-Trol (according to label instructions), along with a pressure washer or stiff
bristle brush to remove the loose fibre, dirt and other surface contaminants. After cleaning allow 48 hours for the wood to dry and then apply Owatrol’s Decking Paint in the same way as for new wood.
Using Decking Paint on previously coated surfaces
First sand or scrape the surface to remove all loose flaking or peeling finish. If necessary, strip the surface with Dilunett and then clean and neutralise with Net-Trol and allow 48 hours for the wood to dry. Then apply Owatrol’s Decking Paint as for new wood surfaces.