Owatrol’s Shed & Fence Paint is an all-in-one opaque wood protection and finish designed for both new and weathered exterior wood surfaces including wooden sheds, fences, summer houses and more. It is formulated especially to provide long-lasting protection for sheds and fences without the risk of peeling or flaking.
Shed & Fence Paint contains Owatrol’s Emulsa-Bond, giving it excellent adherence without the need for lengthy preparation and priming. It is available in 35 different shades and when applied to bare wood is guaranteed against flaking and peeling for 15 years on vertical surfaces and 5 years on horizontal surfaces. Shed & Fence Paint is perfect for creating a signature look to your exterior wood structures and provides exemplary protection against UV damage and moisture problems.
Ideal Uses for Shed & Fence Paint
- Perfect for tool sheds, fences, gates and other outdoor structures
- Stunning on playhouses and wooden play equipment in any of the 35 shades
- Long-lasting protection against the elements for fencing
- Beautiful for log cabins and summer houses
- Performs well on new and old wood
New wood surfaces
Before using Shed & Fence Paint, all surfaces must be clean, dry and free of dirt, grease and mildew. However, if your wood is new it will also have a hard shiny surface known as mill glaze which prevents maximum penetration – preventing any coating from adhering properly.
We would recommend that new wood is treated with Seasonite new wood protection and then allowed to weather for a minimum of 6 months after which time Shed & Fence Paint can be applied.
Weathered wood surfaces
Untreated wood surfaces which have weathered for 6 months or more need a thorough cleaning to restore their original colour and remove any built-up dirt before applying Shed & Fence Paint. To do this simply use Net-Trol wood cleaner which is scrubbed on, left to work and then rinsed off. Be sure to allow your wood to dry thoroughly for 48 hours afterwards before applying Shed & Fence Paint.
Previously coated surfaces
In this case, first sand or scrape to remove any loose, flaking or peeling finish (if there is any). If necessary, you should strip the surface with Prepdeck, DSP 800 or Dilunett and then neutralise it with Net-Trol wood cleaner. Then allow 48 hours for the surface to dry before applying SCS.
Appying Owatrol’s Shed & Fence Paint
Owatrol’s Shed & Fence Paint is incredibly easy to apply by following these simple instructions. First apply one coat avoiding heavy application. Next allow this coat to dry for 3-4 hours before applying a second coat. If applying by spray, always back-brush or back-roll immediately after application to ensure unformity of colour, coverage and penetration.
Surfaces with harsh exposure to weather or traffic will wear more quickly than other areas. In these cases, clean affected areas with Net-Trol and recoat as necessary.
Clean all tools and equipment with soap and water whilst still wet. If allowed to dry, remove with paint stripper.
NOTE: Rags soaked in this product should be soaked with water before disposing of with household waste.
Things to Remember
- Before starting your project, test penetration and absorbency by sprinkling water lightly onto the wood. If the water is absorbed rapidly, surface is free of contamination and ready for staining. If water is repelled, thorough preparation, as for new wood must be performed.
- Before starting application, test the colour choice on a small area and allow to dry to determine final colour.
- Purchase sufficient product for the whole job and mix all product together before starting to avoid colour variances.
- Cover everything you do not wish to coat, including plants and shrubs.
- Apply between 10°C and 35°C.
- Do not apply in direct sunlight, on hot surfaces.
- Do not apply if cold and/or wet weather is expected within 48 hours.
- Mix product thoroughly before and during application. Do not thin.
- Always work the entire length of a deck board or horizontal siding to a logical break, such as a window or door frame.
- Vertical siding should be coated from top to bottom.