Textrol HES is a powerful, penetrating protective treatment for exterior wood. It’s designed to provide a complete and effective protection from weather and UV radiation in a single coat. It is available in a choice of shades, including clear, with a matt-sheen oil finish.
Textrol HES has a luxurious matt-sheen finish which enhances the grain and natural beauty of the wood. As it is penetrative and its place is not on the surface it will not peel or flake as it doesn’t form a film.
Why use Textrol HES?
Textrol HES is perfect if you’re short on time as it has the same great protection properties of Textrol but only needs a single coat! The required maintenance is minimal with likely maintenance coats only required once in every couple of years or longer making it a sound investment for the future.
Ideal Uses for Owatrol’s Textrol HES
- Protecting your deck simply and efficiently
- Suitable for softwoods and European hardwoods
- Retaining the natural beauty of wood cladding
- Enhancing the look of garden furniture
- Protecting a large quantity of fencing with minimal time investment
Please Note swatches are given as a guide only and are based on use for light coloured softwoods. Actual colour will depend on the type and age of the wood surface treated. Therefore, we recommend you always test a sample first before coating the entire surface.
Not suitable for exotic hardwoods or thermally heated oil impregnated wood.
Surfaces must first be clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime, mildew and previous coatings. Treat any mildew with a 50/50 bleach/water solution. Scrub the solution on to the surface and allow it to stand for 10- 15 minutes before rinsing thoroughly.
After cleaning and/or stripping, allow the wood to dry for 2-3 good drying days or until it has reached a moisture content of 18% or less before applying the finish.
Textrol HES can only be applied to bare wood surfaces or weathered surfaces previously finished with Textrol HES. ALL other finishes MUST be completely and thoroughly removed. If necessary sand the surface after cleaning and/or stripping (80 grit paper).
New wood surfaces
Rough Sawn: None
Planed: New smooth, planed wood has a hard shiny surface called mill-glaze that prevents maximum penetration and adhesion of any finish, this should be removed to ensure maximum performance of the finish. Treat the wood with Aquanett or Prepdeck and neutralise with Net-Trol OR sand with 80 grit paper to open the wood pores, dust off and degrease surface with Methylated Spirits.
Weathered wood surfaces (untreated)
Wood that has weathered longer than 12 months or turned grey should be cleaned with Net-Trol to remove all loose wood fibres, dirt and other surface contaminants. If wood is severely contaminated, clean with Aquanett or Prepdeck and neutralise with Net-Trol wood cleaner.
Previously coated surfaces
All previous coatings must be completely and thoroughly removed.
- Oils and sealers: Strip with Aquanett or Prepdeck then neutralise with Net-Trol
- Solvent (oil or alkyd based finishes): Strip with Dilunett then neutralise with Net-Trol
- Acrylic finishes (Water-based): Strip with Prepdeck then neutralise with Net-Trol
- Other finishes i.e. 2 pack epoxies, urethanes… Strip with DSP 800 then clean the surface to remove residual paraffin
Note: Hardwoods and woods rich in tannins e.g. Oak, Chestnut, Douglas Fir, Cedar, etc. may darken with Aquanett, Prepdeck and Dilunett, neutralising with Net-Trol immediately after rinsing will lighten and restore the woods colour.
Application of Owatrol’s Textrol HES
- Paintbrush, roller or sprayer.
NB – If you apply the product with a sprayer, it is a good idea to go over it lightly with a brush or roller afterwards for better penetration.
Use Textrol HES as is – do not thin. Stir the can well before and during application.
Apply a single liberal application of Textrol HES working in the direction of the grain. After 15-30 minutes brush out any excess to improve penetration and give a uniform finish.
Note: Do not create a film. Textrol HES is not a surface coating, its place is in the wood not on the surface.
Maintenance applications may be required approximately once every 2 years depending on the wood species, its age at the time of the initial application e.g. new or weathered and the colour used. Textrol HES will gradually lighten over time due to exposure to the sun and UV rays.
Inspect the finish bi-annually. Maintenance is due when the finish has severely faded or the wood takes on a weathered grey appearance. Surfaces with harsh exposure to the sun, weather and foot traffic will show wear more quickly than other areas. Areas retaining good colour do not need re-treating.
Clean the surface with Net-Trol and allow it to dry. Re-apply Textrol HES as directed under ‘Application’. Cleaning with Net-Trol once a year between treatments to remove dirt and other surface contamination will renew the appearance of the finish and wood.
Clean all tools and equipment with white spirits whilst still wet. If allowed to dry, remove with paint stripper.
Note: Any rags etc. soaked in Textrol HES may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded. Rags etc. must be saturated with water after use or placed in a sealed, water filled metal container, before disposing with household waste.
Things to Remember
- Before starting, test colour choice on a small area.
- Allow to dry to determine final colour.
- If using a sprayer it should be 0.017-.021 tip at 1800-2000 psi (124-138 bars)
- Cover everything you do not wish to coat, including plants and shrubs.
- Do not apply in direct sunlight or to hot surfaces.
- Surfaces in direct sunlight can reach temperatures of 60°C even when the air temperature is 30°C.
- Do not apply if cold and/or wet weather is expected within 24 hours.
- Do not thin.
- Always work the entire length of a board or piece of wood to a logical break.
- Never stop application in the middle of a board or piece of wood.
- Vertical cladding should be coated from top to bottom.
- After spray application, always back-brush or back-roll to improve penetration and uniformity of coverage.
- Ensure wood is dry – max 18% moisture content – before applying.